I'm four days into the trail and here are some things that have happened so far:
DAY 1-Lost the following items: puffy jacket, rain jacket, wallet with all money and ID, one waterproof glove shell. Lessons learned: All belongings must be attached to backpack via tiny leashes. Backpack must have one solid leash attached to self. Must implement organization system immediately.
Also, after a rainy weekend it was a beautiful day to hit the trail. Thought I was headed out to the start at 6am but actually got there sometime after noon. Stuck my arm through the fence into Mexico. Got hiked in by a new friend I met in LA who did the trail two years ago. Did 10 miles. Felt happy to be out there for my first day.
DAY 2-Kevin aka 30Pack ended up camping out last night as well but left early in the morning to run back to where his car got dropped off at Lake Morena. I woke up, broke down camp, started hiking and didn't see or hear another person for the whole 10 miles I hiked. It was weird to be so alone on the second day in and it will be interesting to see how many more days happen where I don't see anyone. I did make it back up to Morena where my rain jacket got dropped off at the small store there. (It had fallen off my pack into Thule box on top of 30Packs Subaru.) Once retrieved, I checked and my wallet was in the pocket. I cried tears of joy for a moment and then I bought a lemonade. Made a phone call and found out that my puffy jacket is getting sent ahead and I'll be able to hike and get it in a few days. Challenges of the day: 1.solar charger stopped working(will solve that later). 2.Almost stepped on a snake and after backing up I had to strategically hike down a slope to avoid it. Found out that evening it was a racer snake. Harmless.
Cowboy camped with some other hikers, early to bed for a good start then next day.
DAY 3-Somehow found my glove this morning, must have been with my stuff all along(even though emptied and searched my whole bag)-all my things have come back to me!!! :-) Hiked 16 miles with a fun friendly German called Angie. She had a rad tattoo of Darth Vader with a Guiness that I followed the whole 16 miles, I'll try to include a photo. Amazing views to end the day. Mini yoga sunset sess while my dinner rehydrated. Loved the trail today.
DAY 4-Hiked into Mt.Laguna solo. Got my first resupply package-yay!! Sent some stuff home. Cut up a sleeping pad from a fellow hiker to use as shoulder pads to save myself from more bruising on my clavicles. Checked internet and emails since it was a "town day". (So far town days remind me a lot of port days from my ship work time.) Found a bunch of other hikers to camp with at a campground near town. Had a hot shower-phenomenal. Washed my clothes in a public campground bathroom-shocking. This bathroom germ-a-phob not only washed her clothes in a bathroom sink but actually felt good about it and considers the clothes "clean" now. Still wrapping my mind around it. It's going to be a dirty 5 months people. Anyone planning to meet up with me, please start preparing yourselves now for the smell and disgust of this hiker trash. ;-)
Okay, time for bed. Sending love to all.
xo,
H
Glad you got your gear back, Han Solo! It seems like you are really hitting your stride. We are so jealous and excited for you here at the Martinson house!
ReplyDeleteSo glad everything came back to you! We love you bunches!
ReplyDeletetesting comment entry Mom
ReplyDeleteRockstar!!! Heard it's hot out there! Sending love and aloha.
ReplyDelete